top of page

Getting a green card (permanent resident status) in the U.S. allows for numerous benefits such as the ability to live and work in the U.S., apply and attend schools and universities, obtain a Social Security number, apply for a State Driver’s license and apply for U.S. Citizenship after 5 years (or 3 in some cases) Obtaining a green card and becoming a permanent resident of the U.S. also allows you to help other relatives secure family-based visas, and you may sponsor relatives immigrating to the U.S.

This can be done through immediate, or non-immediate family members who are U.S. citizens, green card holders, or through a special category such as being the widow or widower of a U.S. citizen. Subject to certain limitations, a U.S. citizen may sponsor a spouse, unmarried child, married child, a parent or a sibling. A lawful permanent resident may sponsor a spouse and unmarried children.

bottom of page